Wednesday, January 6, 2010

busy in the kitchen

Hello my name is Aimee and this is a real life adventure...


As promised I am (slowly) becoming more domesticated through activities such as sewing, cooking, and crafting. This week my Momma decided we should serve enchiladas for family dinner. Of course I was her right hand man up until the rice started to burn and my wonderful 13 year old sister dropped the I'm-going-to-switch-schools-hope-that's-okay-with-you bomb. Then I was in charge. After adding more water, bullion, and garlic the rice was on it's way to saved and a bottle of wine later my Momma felt better. :)

The meal took about an hour and a half to make from start to finish. We made both red and green sauce enchiladas, however I much prefer the green ones.

Here's what you'll need:

1lb of boneless chicken breast
15-20 corn tortillas (the small ones)
cooking oil
salt
pepper
red chili flakes (optional- adds spice and flavor!)
1 bulb of fresh garlic (I guess garlic powder is okay too)
1 10.5 oz can of cream of chicken soup
1 7 oz can diced green chilis
1 28 oz can green enchilada sauce
2 cups (1 pkg) shredded cheese

1. Boil the chicken until it is cooked all the way through (at least 10 min)
2. While the chicken is boiling, coat the bottom 1/2 in of a frying pan with cooking oil and put over medium-high heat.
3. After oil is heated, one by one, place the corn tortillas in the oil for about 30 seconds on each side. This will make them pliable when stuffing. Set aside.
4. Shred the chicken (I do it with two forks)
5. Combine shredded chicken with salt, pepper, garlic and red chili flakes(to your liking), green chilis, and soup.
6. Place about 2 spoonfuls of mixture in each corn tortilla and roll up leaving both ends open. Place in a casserole dish.
7. After filling all the tortillas, pour green sauce on top of the enchiladas and cover with cheese.
8. Cover with tin foil and place in the oven at 350F for about 25 minutes.

Serve with re-fried beans and Spanish rice. Enjoy!



Here I am channeling my inner Betty



On leftover night I whipped up these guys to celebrate finishing off the enchiladas


These homemade ice cream sandwiches are super easy to make and can be done with homemade cookies (like I did) or store bought ones. I used chocolate chip cookies and stuffed them with vanilla ice cream, but you can choose any cookie and any ice cream to make endless amounts of delicious concoctions!

I hope you enjoy the recipe!

No comments: