Tuesday, February 16, 2010

i'll take my day sunny side up please

Hello my name is Aimee and this is a real life adventure...

After a crummy day yesterday I really needed something to boost my mood. Ask and you shall receive. Clayton offered to make me breakfast this morning, so I woke up extra early (8:00am doesn't sound bad, but it feels worse) to make sure I had time to get ready before heading over to his house and then onto class. My roommate had curled my hair from the night before and somehow most of it managed to stay curled. I touched up a few pieces in the front, powdered my nose, and added a coat of mascara and voila! I was ready.

Did I mention that the weather happened to be PERFECT for sporting sundresses? Yep, it's official- I broke out my first one today and don't plan to stop until October!

Being absolutely wonderful Clayton not only offered to make breakfast, but also picked me up. We ran by Babeway to get the necessities and then headed back to his house where the cooking would commence.

We decided on omelets, but after a not-so-successful flip it turned into scrambled eggs.
Despite the small disaster, it was DELICIOUS! Here's the recipe:

3 eggs
1 dash of milk
1 dash of butter (melted)
1/4 of a green bell pepper (or as much as you desire) chopped
1/4 of a yellow onion (again based on preference) diced
1/4 of a small Roma tomato (as much as you like...) diced
1 clove of garlic minced
spinach (you know the drill... add to your taste)
1/4 cup of shredded cheese (we used Monterrey jack cheddar)
1/2 avocado sliced
splash of olive oil

1. Mix eggs, milk, and butter in a small bowl with a fork.
2. Saute onions, bell peppers, and garlic in olive oil until onions begin to brown.
3. Add onion and bell pepper mixture to eggs.
4. Over medium heat, cook egg mixture. Avoid stirring to allow the bottom of the omelet to cook.
5. Once the edges look like they are cooked add in spinach and tomato. Allow egg mixture to complete cook on bottom.
6. (This is where things went all wrong for us) Flip the egg mixture over with a spatula and cook the other side for an even amount of time.
7. Sprinkle cheese and avocado slices, fold in half, serve and enjoy!

I suggest consuming this breakfast with salsa, it's the perfect compliment. We accompanied it with buttered toast and half a banana, but bacon or potatoes would be great too!

I hope you made time for breakfast.

No comments: