Monday, February 15, 2010

the road to redemption

Hello my name is Aimee and this is a real life adventure...

If you know me, you know I am somewhat of a caffeine addict. It started getting serious when my head would start off with a dull constant pain in the back of my head and work its way to my temples gaining momentum until it was a full on thrashing headache. I would wonder (almost always out loud) why I was getting these constant, inconvenient episodes. It wasn't until the oh-so-clever Clayton pointed out to me that they always came on if I didn't drink a coffee or tea to start my day. Psh... I am not THAT bad, I would assure him. Of course the pain would always subside after sipping on a mocha or an earl grey tea.

Simultaneously, my sister Bee is preparing to become baptized into the Catholic church. Before Easter comes Lent, it is a season of penance, reflection, and fasting which prepares us for Christ's Resurrection on Easter Sunday, through which we attain redemption (learn more here). In absolute awe of her faith I decided to support my little sister and observe Lent with her. We decided to give up red meat (this is because we couldn't get enough protein if we went completely vegetarian leading our college lives) and soda (in hopes to lose weight). I decided it was as good a time as ever to stop drinking coffee to rid myself of any forming caffeine addiction.

Some days are harder than others. I still wake up and crave the taste of the warm, sweet liquid against my lips. (I did however, not give up tea in the event of an emergency. Only emergencies.) My coffee maker has accumulated dust and the creamer in my fridge has expired. The only reason I use my ridiculously cute owl mug is to sip warm liquids such as Theraflu.

Right now, I REALLY want a raspberry, white chocolate mocha from Dutch Bros. I can't give in until March 29th when Lent is over.

So I'm just going to do something productive every time I crave a coffee.

I hope this works.

No comments: