Thursday, May 6, 2010

goodbye chi omega

Hello my name is Aimee and this is a real life adventure...

In my last post I promised to expand on what I meant about leaving my student organizations. In Chi Omega in December and in May we do what is called "Senior Wills". They happen at the last meeting of every semester and provide outgoing seniors with the chance to pass on trinkets, wisdom, and memories. I gave a ton of stuff away, but I also had something to say. Unfortunately I couldn't bring myself to saying it for fear of crying. So here's what I wrote and wish I had the strength to say:

I didn’t live on campus and knew no one at Arizona State my freshman year, so in an attempt to make friends I went through recruitment. Honestly, how I made it into Chi Omega is still a mystery to me, but I couldn’t be more grateful that fate had dealt me such an amazing hand.

After almost dropping, I was initiated in January of 2007 and fought with my parents about moving into Adelphi. My Dad assured me that spending money to live on campus, or worse a sorority house, was simply a waste of money. He couldn’t have been more wrong. I moved into Adelphi my sophomore year in an attempt to get to know more girls and become closer with the house. It was that year I accepted the New Member Educator position within the house. My sophomore year also marked another huge accomplishment: in a command decision Kelley P. decided to take me to Sigma Pi for the first time of my college career. I am forever grateful to Kelley for this memory. I remember thinking if anyone other than Charlie’s Angels could pull off a denim jumpsuit it was Kelley.

Although I had already been active within the organization for two years, my Chi Omega experience didn’t really start until my junior year. In August I broke up with my long time high school boyfriend. After the breakup I thought I had lost my best friend, but Chi O proved me wrong. I just hadn’t met her yet. I lived in Adelphi again my junior year and made the best memories. With my two closest friends we stole fraternity composites, snuck into bars, and had the time of our lives.

After crying in her room for an entire afternoon Allison confided that in her opinion I was the most improved out of our entire pledge class. At first the comment seemed like an insult, but the more I thought about it I realized it was the biggest compliment anyone could receive.

Before I knew it senior year was upon us and for the life of me I have no idea where it went. It feels like we just finished with recruitment and here I am saying goodbye.

After arbitrarily ending up in Chi Omega because of ennie-meenie-minie-mo the house took hold of me and has since not let go. I cannot imagine, my college experience or my life, without Chi Omega. It has struck me to my very core and as a result is part of my being. Being a part of this sorority has shown me how to live to my full potential and truly flourish. Without the amazing women I have met in the Psi Epsilon chapter I would have never made it through heart breaks, the deaths of family members and close friends, inheriting a wicked stepmother, and college life in general. I can’t think of a crisis my sisters cannot fix.

I know that I am getting so much more out of Chi Omega than it will ever get out of me; lifetime friends, memories that will last forever, and some of the most hilarious moments of my life all for just over $600 a semester. What a steal!

When we stand up here and tell you all how fast it goes by we really aren’t lying. Go to date parties even if you’re tired or stressed out. Skip Starbucks during January and February to go on spring break with your sisters. Console a Chi O even if you have a paper due in the morning. These women are the ones you will make the best memories with.

For My Lil Sis Lane: you are the single greatest thing I have done for Psi Epsilon. I knew you were meant to be a Chi O, even when you didn’t. I know you took a chance on me being your big sis since we only really had about a year and a half together, but I am so honored to call you my little sister. You are one of the strongest and most dedicated women I know. You are classy, discrete, and brave. I know you were sad about Personnel chair at first, but I knew you would be perfect. You have done a wonderful job thus far. I am leaving Psi Epsilon in confidence knowing you are helping lead our house to do amazing things. I know I wasn’t around near as much as either of us would have wished this past semester, but know that I am always here for you. I’m just a phone call away, even at 3:30 am. I am so glad we’re sisters. I love you.

For My Baby Sister Haleigh: I have literally been counting down the days until you were going to be a Psi Epsilon since my freshman year. After experiencing something so powerful it changed my life, I wanted to be able to share it with you. While I’m sad we only got to spend a year together, I am excited for you to experience Psi Epsilon for yourself. I cannot wait to hear your crazy Sigma Pi stories, see cute pictures from recruitment, and meet your little. Like myself, I know that you too will flourish in Chi Omega and reach your full potential. Without Chi Omega we are still sisters, but now we can share the bonds of sisterhood I have gotten to know so well. I am proud to call you my sister, and honored to call you a Chi Omega sister. I love you Bee.

For Sara: You are my very best friend. Even when we don’t go to the same parties or when we don’t see each other for five days you are still my best friend. You are the first person I want to call when I am facing personal crisis and one of the only people that can make me feel better after a bad day. I am so lucky that I got to live with you for the last year and a half. Thank you for making my college experience. I love you.

For Caitie: After my huge breakup junior year you forced me to function and helped me become human again. Thank you. While you and Sara are the reason I hate drinking sugar free red bull, I am grateful for all the times it kicked in and helped us stay up til all hours of the night. Without you I would not be the same. I will always cherish the memories we have and I cannot wait to make more. I love you.

For Heather: You were one of my first friends in Chi Omega, an accomplice at Kappa Sig, and a great drinking buddy. I know you are going to knock the socks off of the guys at J.C. Penny. Promise to stay in touch no matter how carried away your new job makes you.

For Rachel: I know moving into Adelphi this past spring was difficult to adjust to at first, but I was ecstatic you moved in. Our room became so much more interesting and lively with you here. I’m sure living with me was difficult, as I often didn’t keep clothes or dishes on my side of the room. To tell you the truth you are one of the funniest people I have ever met and I’m insanely jealous of your super model hair. When I attend Chi Omega events girls are always asking me, where’s Rachel? Where’s Sara? I’m so happy I got to live with the two most popular girls in Adelphi. Despite not being around much, I’ve gotten to know you well and will miss coming home to you on the couch watching an addicting TV show. Thank you for making this semester exciting.

I hope you're ready to say goodbye.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

totally crying now, thanks. as if being nearly 9 mos pregnant doesn't make me enough of a mess you had to go and write this. :)

Aimee, I can tell you that you are truly as asset to the Fraternity and please remember...you are not saying goodbye to XO...you are just about to enter a new chapter of the Sisterhood.

Love.

Ms. G said...

Thanks for making me tear up at work, Aimee. I love you so much and I'm not even worried about you graduating away from Psi Epsilon because you really can't get rid of me that easily. We were both so busy this semester; I wish we'd seen more of one another. But don't fret! Summer is upon us and we will have many more stories to tell and life crises to solve. Thanks for being a fabulous big sister, for having confidence in me even when I had no faith in myself, and for inspiring me to become a woman I can be proud of.

You aren't just my former nemesis turned influential friend - you're the big sister I never had ♥