Wednesday, March 10, 2010

wednesday= free art

Hello my name is Aimee and this is a real life adventure...

Every Wednesday afternoon from 3-9 pm the Phoenix Art Museum opens their doors and invites the community to visit the museum for free although making a voluntary donation is highly encouraged. The same phenomenon happens during First Friday evenings from 6-10pm. This makes art accessible to everyone in the community. Last Wednesday my little sisters and I made a date to go visit the art museum.

One of the exhibits was this cool looking black bean. It is very similar to the instillation at Millennium Park in Chicago.
The museum happened to be featuring Ansel Adams, a famous American photographer who specialized in photographing the outdoors.

This one was Emily's favorite
Haleigh just wanted a picture with something. She chose this Ansel Adams photograph.
After about an hour of being there Haleigh and Emily were losing patience with the museum rules of being quiet, no running, and turning the flash on the camera off (I still can't figure out how to turn it back on).















We were so obnoxious that the museum had a guard dedicated to following the Williams' girls around making sure we didn't touch, break, or breath on anything.

The best part of visiting the museum (besides the free entrance) was the firefly instillation on the third floor. If you have yet to experience this please make an effort to go and visit. I won't tell you much more about the exhibit except that I happen to think it is magical.

I remember the first time I ever went to see it. Clayton made me cover my eyes and wouldn't let me open them until everything was just right. When I was allowed to open them it took my breath away.

Official Review: The Phoenix Art Museum makes for an awesome time with the absence of admission prices and spectacular displays (can you say cheap date?). Just make sure the crowd you roll with is patient with art.

I hope you take time to appreciate the arts.

No comments: