Friday, March 12, 2010

funky fish friday

Hello my name is Aimee and this is a real life adventure...

On a count that it's Lent season, and on a count that Haleigh and I wanted to go to lunch on a Friday, and on a count of Clayton's recommendation we decided to try the ever tempting Pete's Fish and Chips on Apache Boulevard near Adelphi.

Let me preface this story by saying that Haleigh and I did not grow up eating seafood. At all. First, we live in Arizona and there is no ocean nearby. Second, our father HATES seafood and thus it was never served in our household. Not even fish sticks.

So we were excited/nervous to try out Pete's, but during Lent you cannot eat any meat (except for fish, which I find kind of weird) so we decided to go for it.
The most important thing about Pete's is that the only form of payment they accept is cash. So after we got there we had to go to the ATM and then go back to Pete's. After that you get to order. You walk up to a window and order. There is no inside. There are tables under a covered patio and tables on the second story of the building. This is important to know because you will want to go when the weather is nice. Not when it's rainy, windy, or freakin' hot.

Along with our food I purchased a shiny "I'm addicted to Pete's Fish and Chips" bumper sticker for $0.50 with optimism that our food would be delicious.Clayton convinced the two of us to order Pete's special including one fish fillet, four shrimp stick things, french fries, two red cocktail sauces, and a fountain drink (we both got lemonade since we gave up soda for Lent). Our food came out pipin' hot and looking quite good.Unfortunately, Haleigh and I were both extremely disappointed with our lunches. I ate my whole plate while Bee was only able to get down half her fish, two of her shrimp sticks, and all of her fries. I really like the cocktail sauce (but who are we kidding, I love ALL sauces) but it was too spicy for my little sister. Our overall review of Pete's is to never go there.
Let me say that Haleigh and I doing a review of this establishment is like a vegan eating at McDonald's. We are not fish connoisseurs so we have no clue what we are talking about. All we know is that it made everyone extremely nauseous for the remainder of the afternoon.

There was one redeeming factor about Pete's Fish and Chips: their ranch. It was the only way we could choke down the mediocre fries served with the deep fried shapes called "fish" and "shrimp". It made us happy.
Besides the ranch the other redeeming thing was that Clayton came with :)

This is him being annoyed at the obscene number of pictures I was taking and me doing a kissy-fish face in honor of the lunch establishment.

I hope there are better options for next Friday.

No comments: