Thursday, March 25, 2010

my magic kingdom

Hello my name is Aimee and this is a spring break adventure...

Throughout the entire California trip all I could talk about was Clayton and I taking a picture in Disneyland with Minnie and Mickey Mouse. I wanted to stand by Mickey and Clayton was going to stand by Minnie and it was going to make the perfect Christmas card.

Clayton and I had come back to watch the fireworks show after a much needed nap after a tiring day at Disneyland. Upon re-entering the park we spotted Minnie and Mickey Mouse right by Main Street USA. How perfect! I sprinted to the end of the line only to be informed that no one else was allowed to get in line to get a timeless snapshot with the ever-popular mouse couple. Todd (the man who accompanied the mouse couple and stopped me from joining the back of the picture line) assured me that both Minnie and Mickey would be back in the same area after the fireworks.

After fireworks we wandered over to the same area and waited. and waited. and then we waited some more. Finally Mickey emerged from the magical white swinging doors that always produced idolized Disney characters. I was ecstatic. I quickly jumped third into line to take my photo. After watching a mother struggle with her two kids to stand with Mickey I realized there was one missing component to the equation. Minne Mouse was no where to be seen. As the smiling Todd approached the line I inquired about Ms. Mouse's whereabouts. He answered something vague and general like "she may be out later on in this general area". My heart began to break. It was the last night I was in Disneyland and our tram that whisked us back to the hotel was arriving in 15 minutes. It seemed I was not getting my picture with Mickey and Minnie Mouse after all.
Slowly I wandered toward Main Street USA to make my last minute tourist-y purchases. After finishing all of our shopping was almost finished I left Clayton in a crowded gift shop check out the growing Mickey line to see if by some miracle Minnie had reappeared.

Someone upstairs had been listening. I turned the corner and there standing together was the duo in flesh and blood (or fur and zippers). Again I ran to the end of the line and was allowed to join the gathering crowd for an opportunity to stand next to greatness. After a few minutes of listing off the people in my head that would be receiving a copy of the darling photo about to be taken, Clayton came up behind me and asked "Where's Minnie going?" I craned my neck to see past the group in front of us just in time to see Minnie Mouse exiting the Main Street USA through the swinging white doors leaving Mickey to attend to the crowd.

My heart sank. I knew that Minnie was definitely not coming back out and that Clayton and I had no chance of getting a picture with the enigmatic characters. I fought back tears as my boyfriend grabbed my hand and tried to console me as he walked me out of the park and towards the shuttle stop.

It was then I realized that the magic I had been looking for throughout the happiest place on earth all day was right beside me, guiding me through the darkness and making everything all better.

I hope you find magic in your everyday.

No comments: