Thursday, December 10, 2009

the not so grand finale

Hello my name is Aimee and this is a real life adventure...

There were no hand written letters of affection or grand gestures of love. No conversation or confession of regret. Not even a fleeting glance. Just as he ambled into my life completely by accident smiling all the while, he strode out.

The final exam was less than 25 questions, and as per the advice of Dr. Barry instead of studying I went to dinner. The exam took a half hour to complete and I flashed back to the first grade when I was the first student in our lecture to pack up my bag for the last time and hand in my test.

I thought things would be different somehow, but instead I find myself on an unknown path headed to most uncertain places. This semester I have learned more in my 402 class than I have in any other. Some things are life lessons and others are tricks to get into grad school, either way Dr. Barry has impacted my life far more than she could ever know.

Here is a list of invaluable things I have learned in the wee hours of a Tuesday morning.

1. I function best with caffeine.
2. With a little prodding, Microsoft Excel and I can be friends.
3. Always do your homework the night before the night before.
4. I am a sensitive, hopeless romantic.
5. Not everyone wants to help an ASU student with their research project by filling out a quick survey.
6. It takes longer than one semester for a heart to heal.
7. If you don't catch the train before 7:00 AM you will be late.
8. What matches in the dark doesn't always match under fluorescent light.
9. If you don't understand the material, you're probably the only one.
10. My program has the most supportive and encouraging staff. How lucky am I?

How can the last 15 weeks have gone by so slowly, yet so quickly. The older I become the more I feel time slipping away from me. He's just another boy, I assure myself. The exception is that being on this side of the heart ache has been the real life lesson.

No comments: