Tuesday, December 8, 2009

the last morning

Hello my name is Aimee and this is a real life adventure...

Armed with my 49 page assignment I walk into my final stats lecture of the semester. Everyone is excited, a burden has been lifted from the shoulders of the PRM 402 class. The final hour and fifteen minutes is spent reviewing independent and dependent variables and completing teacher evaluations. The final exam is Thursday morning and then the class will officially come to a close. I reflect on my semester of ponytails, hot tea, and cranky mornings.

Some were better than others. For instance, I actually took into consideration my appearance for the first few weeks of the semester. Actually, now that I think about it I would tease my hair and put on a full face of makeup like it was Panhellenic Recruitment. What the heck was I doing?

And then there was the time on the train when I was reading the end of New Moon, the second book of the Twilight series, and suddenly broke into tears only to look up and notice my heartthrob looking at me like I was an alien. I guess I get emotional when I don't get sleep.

Of course I will never forget Dr. Barry keeping me on my toes in every class because she most definitely knew I was not taking extensive notes in cursive and doodles. What a smart lady.

I finally wised up somewhere in late October and realized no one noticed when I woke up ten minutes before having to leave Adelphi in the mornings giving me just enough time to brush my teeth, tie my hair up on the top of my head, and pull on my pink and gray Chi O sweatshirt. Yes, I am indeed the poster child for Greek life.

My fingers will never be the same after a semester of purchasing tea from Fair Trade Cafe. Having to make the walk from the coffee shop to my classroom in Cronkite with beverage in hand pretty much burned my fingerprints off. Fair Trade: check your water temperature!

As I reminisce about the embarrassing and ironic moments of the semester, I can hear my professor ask if anyone has any questions about the final. For no reason whatsoever I become consumed with the all powerful emotion: sadness. I have spent the better half of my semester in statistics complaining about the starting time of the class, other people, and the quality of the tea/pastries at Starbucks but here I am wishing time hadn't passed me by so quickly. Story of my life.

I will spend the next 46 hours or so pretending to study for the kickoff of my finals. And then it really will be the last morning.

No comments: