Tuesday, December 22, 2009

let it snow

Hello my name is Aimee and this is a Christmas adventure...

Every year my Aunt Lani puts on a fabulous event at her house called "Ornament Making Night". Each year we make differently themed ornaments, for instance one year we all decorated clear glass balls, and last year everyone made birds.

This year the theme was snowflakes. Each attendee was given a large sheet of colored paper and a pair of scissors. The craft table was covered in glue, paint, and four different kinds of glitter leaving only your imagination and heart's desire to limit the possibilities of decorating your snowflake.

I love this night because not only do I get to spend time with my family, but there are always littles (little kids) running around the house screaming out with delight at the sight of glitter and paint stuck in the dog's hair, sneaking cookies to the siblings who can't quite reach the counter top, and emitting pure joy for the season. Their innocence takes away the stressors of unfinished shopping and to-do lists by replacing my diminished Christmas spirit.

The snowflake decorating was accompanied by Godiva hot cocoa and lavishly decorated cookies from Barbs Bakery. The night came to a perfect close when the group of littles, moms, aunts, cousins, brothers and sisters gathered around the sparlking Christmas tree in the front room to sing Silent Night by candellight. The off-key, off-pitch, slightly sped up version of the song was the most beautiful rendition I have heard yet, leaving me grinning ear to ear for the remainder of the night.



Tis the season to be grateful for the important things in life.

1 comment:

Ms. G said...

As usual, I'm reading your blog backwards. I know things were hard with your dad's situation, but this post was really sweet, and I know it brought you SOME christmas cheer, even if it couldn't replace all of it. I'm glad you followed some semblance of a Christmas tradition Aims. <3