Friday, September 11, 2009

river rampage expeditions

Hello my name is Aimee and this is a real life adventure...

In my PRM 364 class I am taking this semester we are currently discussing the topic of inclusion. Part of this week's assignment was to share a resource or a program with the class that is associated with adaptive recreation. To be honest, I am not currently associated with any organization that does adaptive recreation so I decided to do a little research. Upon visiting the City of Phoenix's website I found several programs offered for individuals with limitations as well as at-risk youth. Many of these programs integrate the two different groups into one.

The program I would like to share is called River Rampage Expeditions. It is a program that allows both at-risk youth and individuals with limitations to spend seven days working together as a team to get down a river. The selection process is unique, as participants are not asked to pay for the trip, but to perform a set amount of community service hours in return. I love that the program integrates individuals from all different backgrounds in conjunction with volunteers to spend a week together working as a team. This truly exemplifies the meaning of inclusion.

More adaptive programs through the City of Phoenix can be found here.

2 comments:

Karen Harrison said...

That sounds like an awesome program! I really love your blog by the way, it looks great!

Seth said...

Thank you for making me aware of this organization! This sounds so exciting! It is very interesting what type of pay they except...community service...who would of thought.