Sunday, October 12, 2008

John Muir and Transcendentalism

"We all flow from one fountain— Soul. All are expressions of one love. God does not appear, and flow out, only from narrow chinks and round bored wells here and there in favored races and places, but He flows in grand undivided currents, shoreless and boundless over creeds and forms and all kinds of civilizations and peoples and beasts, saturating all and fountainizing all."

This quote relates heavily to transcendentalism in the respect of nature being one with God. I appreciate that he brings out his love for all nature, not just the eye pleasing scenes that others may find spiritual. It is interesting to me that he goes so far as to say that we can find God in all places, people, and beasts. This to me goes beyond nature, but touches on even the civilized areas. John Muir obviously was way ahead of his time in thought, as he found God in all people. Not only was he standing up for all environments, but equality for all.
I was surprised to learn how free spirited John Muir was. When reading his writings I would never place him for one to hang off of trees during storms. His oneness with nature is astounding. Muir's obvious passion for the subject is inspiring. I hope to be half as passionate about anything as he is about nature. His beliefs are unique and thought provoking. I agree with Muir's philosophy on transcendentalism. I believe God can be found and appreciated in all nature.

No comments: