Monday, October 27, 2008

Favorite Places Downtown

Growing up in Phoenix and attending high school downtown, I already had a few favorite places in the area. In high school I loved going to the Burton Barr Central Library and taking the elevator to the fifth floor. Right smack in the middle between the bookshelves are study tables. I loved to sit at one and stare out the life sized glass windows at the Downtown cityscape. Part of the Phoenix skyline is visible and it is absolutely breath taking. On days I felt like journaling or thinking, one could find me there.

Attending ASU's Downtown campus has changed that a bit. The farther I get into my major the more appreciation I have for nature and being outside in general. This is absolutely wonderful for me, since it happens to be cooling off. Increasingly I am finding myself wanting to be outside. I cannot wait for the new civic space to be finished. The area will provide students with shade structures, open areas to recreate in, and ultimately link ASU with the surrounding community.

Check out more about the space at:
http://www.asu.edu/tour/downtown/civic.html

This seems to be the ideal place for students and working professionals. A sanctuary in the middle of the city. Getting away without going away.

Until then you can find me in the library...

No comments: