Sunday, September 28, 2008

Nature and Art

Growing up, I had every Disney movie you could think of. I know it sounds silly, but I believe I got most of my ideas from those films. I watched The Little Mermaid countless times, and today my favorite place to be is the beach. Another favorite was Robin Hood. The movie romances the forest depicting valiant rescue and love scenes. I guess this had always led me to believe forested areas are somewhat magical.
I feel that popular culture has so much impact on the way society thinks and behaves. For instance, t-shirts with clever sayings urging the population to "recycle" or "go green" are more a fashion statement than a cause piece. More and more television shows directed at the elemenatry audience are incorporating lessons such as not littering and recycling. America is now feeling the affects of purchasing large SUV's through pollution problems and gas prices. However when owning larger vehicles was popular no one thought twice about the environment.
Art is also influencial, but not as much as popular culture. Art pieces are directed at a certain groups of Americans, while popular culture infleunces and reaches every citizen.

No comments: