Wednesday, August 22, 2012

so this is what wednesday night has come to

Lately, I have found I have a weird and until recently subconscious obsession with going to the grocery store. More specifically the Safeway at 7th Avenue and Osborn. Between shopping for cooking groups at work and fulfilling my personal cravings for Luna Bars and puffy Cheetos I am at that establishment about twice a day. Is it weird that other customers ask me where to find items? Even weirder that I know exactly where to find the frozen cornish hens? (They are in the frozen aisle on the bottom shelf near the other frozen meats)

Recently I confronted myself with the idea of being a shopaholic. Not in the sense of that movie with the cute red head girl or the even more popular book series by Sophie Kinsella, but that I literally HAVE to buy something everyday. Even if it's just half and half or a Country Living magazine. Or maybe it is just that I like the smell of the Starbucks coffee in the air and the feeling of familiarity. Either way, something amusing and essential can always be found in the seasonal section.

When constructing shopping lists I make organize them in geographical order starting always with produce and wrapping up with bakery and deli items. The most annoying part of this little revelation is that my memory for the new found favorite-place-of-mine is only good at that specific Safeway store. The same grocery chain near both my mother and father's residences are completely backwards and jumbled. Of course I would be the one to devote good brain power to a completely useless cause based on convenience.

While were on the subject of grocery shopping, I have to admit that I have about seven reusable shopping bags but only use them about 3% of the time. Even when going on planned grocery trips and leaving from home I forget to bring them. My Willo neighbors totally judge me when I unload my groceries, as they are usually doing something annoyingly wonderful like jogging or taking out their recycling in a Trader Joe's paper bag.

I tried shopping at Trader Joe's, but it was a joke since it's about six miles away. The nearest Sprouts is just about that far away, and if I went to AJ's twice a day I would be homeless. Homeless, but I would have some damn fancy cheeses that's for sure. The other nearby chain grocers are too scary (Bashas and Liquor Mart) or don't have enough variety (Fresh and Easy).

I guess for now I am fated to take the "Safeway" which is darn fine with me.

obviously obsessed with food.

No comments: