Monday, August 27, 2012

breakfast bundt

Recently I inherited a bundt cake pan. I will be honest, I have never baked a bundt in my life. I haven't even baked a 9x13 cake that turned out like it was supposed to. As I was rambling to my mother-in-law about what exactly I was going to do with said pan, she pulled out a cook book called "The Cake Doctor" and sent me home.  The book is written by a woman who spent years testing recipes made by fixing up cake mixes. In the last two or three weeks I have already made three bundts, all of which turned out moist and delicious!

I have to give the credit to the recipes, for my reading/following instructions abilities have not vastly improved (if anything they are declining).  I snapped some photos of the most recent cake, a breakfast cinnamon cake.


I started by putting the walnuts on the bottom of the pan so they would have a chance to toast while the batter baked.


Pictured is the fabulous book (I now must go and buy my own copy instead of holding this one hostage), some ingredients, the batter mixture, the cinnamon sugar mixture, and my amazing hand mixer!



Just out of the oven

 
 

On the cooling rack, you can see the toasted nuts and the two layers of the sugary filling. Also my MIL gave me the pictured owl towel for Valentine's day. We literally own four towels that do not have owls on them.



Final product with the glaze 
(Clayton was not patient enough for me to take the picture before cutting out the first slice).

Despite being a "breakfast" cake, it is delicious at all times of day. The best part is, since I am adding additional ingredients like pudding or sour cream I feel slightly closer to making some thing from scratch.

 After the cake was finished and the dishes were washed I was tapped out on the "good little wife" front. 

This is what I made for dinner last night:

 

their crust is seriously the best.

No comments: