Wednesday, August 26, 2009

looking back

Hello my name is Aimee and this is a real life adventure...


As a new school year comes upon us, so does Fall Welcome Week. While I have many mixed emotions about the spastic, somewhat unorganized weekend events every year I get talked into volunteering at multiple events to help our newest ASU additions move in to their dorms, learn our fight song, play games and win prizes, and of course help them find their classes. Despite the sunburn and heat exhaustion I usually suffer from, I always walk away with swelling pride for the old maroon and gold and an obnoxious volunteer shirt. While my heart and tee shirt drawer are bursting at the seems, I find myself wondering if these freshman will appreciate their Fall Welcome experience enough to pass on the tradition to yet another group of confused and anxious individual next fall.


Just this past Friday the StAR's were asked to share some of our experiences with the incoming freshman on the Downtown Campus. We each were asked four questions related to our individual freshmen experiences, and our current programs. I was so excited about this being my first official StAR event that I thought I would share my answers and experiences with you.

What’s one memorable experience that you had as a freshman or new student at ASU?

Actually, to be honest I never had that memorable moment or what others refer to it as a "Sun Devil moment" during my freshman year. It took me to my junior year to realize exactly what I was part of. I will never forget the feeling that consumed me, I felt elated. My hairs rose on the back of my neck and goosebumps covered my arms. A long standing Homecoming tradition at Arizona State is the Lantern Walk, an activity I had never participated in until the fall of 2008. That Friday night I lit a candle and walked with my friends, acquaintances, and other members of the Greek community to the top of "A" Mountain. At the top we had a moment of silence and during the deafening absence of sound I looked out at the people that surrounded me. Next to me were my friends from the Parks and Recreation Student Association and Chi Omega sisters. In the distance Devils' Advocates and Undergraduate Student Government participants could be spotted. The glow of the candlelight lit up the faces of ASU alumnae and their children. At this moment, surrounded by these individuals I felt that I was more that just a number, but part of a close knit community. It felt like I was home.

Think back to when you started at ASU, what do you know now that you wish you knew back then?

When I started here at Arizona State I was an undeclared/exploratory student, so I saw many advisors who all told me different things. One thing they failed to mention was that I had not been taking enough credits to graduate on time. You would think that I would have done the math, (120 credits/8 semesters=15 credits per semester) but I hadn't. I've had to work hard at getting back on track, so make sure you're taking at least 15 credit hours every semester!

What advice would you give freshman on how to succeed as a student?

I always find myself giving advice to prospective students on my tours. The thing I find myself reiterating the most is to become involved. My freshman year I lived at home, so I was unable to meet people in residential halls and I was far too shy to meet anyone in class. (I know what you're thinking, but I really was shy.) To avoid feeling disconnected from the University and my peers I joined the Greek community my fall semester and went out for Devils' Advocates in the spring. I accredit much of my success then and now to becoming involved. I know walking backwards isn't for everyone, but freshman should find something their passionate about and find others on campus who care about those same things. ASU boasts over 700 student clubs and organizations, the chances are that you'll be interested in one of them!

Why did you choose your current program?

Like I mentioned before, I was once an exploratory student so I haven't always been in the School of Community Resources and Development. My path to the Parks and Recreation world was a unique one. I was being pressured by advisors and my parents to declare a major so my cousin suggested taking CED 250, career development. I found the class interesting as it allowed me to explore my interests and who I am as an individual, before I chose my career. Through a series of exercises I found the SCRD and Parks and Recreation Management. The rest, as I like to say, is history.

1 comment:

Phary said...

What a great blog. I remember back when I was a freshman starting up and how scared I was. I had the opportunity to join the woman's basketball team at my college and you not only become a member of the team, and you're not just considered a student, but you become a part of the college and community and that's a great feeling. I think the advice you give to incoming prospective students is great. I am looking forward to getting to know you this semester as well.