Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Fantastic Attitudes Despite Furloughs

I am amazed at the attitudes of the staff and faculty at Arizona State University. With the institution facing over $88 million in budget cuts enrollment is being capped, programs are being eliminated or combined with others, in addition to staff and faculty taking furloughs. Despite this our professors have student’s best interest at heart. It made me feel warm inside to pick up the State Press on February 12th and read the opening headline "Some ASU Faculty Choose Less Pay in Lieu of Furlough".

Other great examples are right here in the School of Community Resources and Development. I just finished meeting with one of my favorite professors from last semester, Dr. Megha Budruk. Despite facing furloughs, she is continually encouraging me to explore research opportunities and has me aiming for goals I would have never thought possible. It is because of these dedicated individuals that Arizona State can truly offer quality in their programs, while being one of the largest universities in the country.

I encourage students to take the same attitude when faced with the negative factors of the current economic crisis. Now is the time to value your education and soak up the ambiance of these resilient professors. With even more budget cuts and tuition increases in the mix, these opportunities may prove to be farther and few between.

No comments: